Facing sexual assault charges in New Jersey is a very serious matter — one that may result in a substantial amount of jail time if you are convicted.
If you are facing sexual assault charges, it is of the utmost importance for you to hire a Toms River, NJ criminal lawyer right away. Find an attorney who has experience handling sexual assault cases to ensure your best defense.
By hiring a criminal lawyer experienced in handling sexual assault charges, you can take comfort in knowing that you are being represented by someone who is knowledgeable about New Jersey sexual assault laws, is up-to-date on the latest sexual assault cases in the state, and has the right connections to provide you with the expert testimony you need to defend your case.
When it comes to sexual assault cases, a TomsRiver, NJ criminal lawyer must have an in-depth understanding of New Jersey sexual assault laws. Simply understanding what constitutes “sexual assault” according to New Jersey law can be confusing.
This is because the law states that a person may be found guilty of sexual assault if he or she engages in sexual penetration if…
- The victim is less than 13-years-old
- The victim is between the ages of 13 and 16, but is related to the accused or was under the supervision of the accused
- The assault takes place while committing another crime, including kidnapping, robbery or homicide
- The accused was armed or led the victim to believe he or she was armed
- The accused used coercion or physical force, whether severe injury to the victim was caused or not
- The accused is assisted by one or more people while using coercion or physical force
- The victim is someone the accused knew was mentally incapacitated, mentally defective or physically helpless
The exact circumstances of your specific case will determine the types of sexual assault charges and penalties you may be facing.
In most sexual assault cases, the punishment can be quite severe. Further, if you are found guilty of the sexual assault charges, you will have to enter your name in the National Sex Offenders Registry.
Call Our New Jersey Criminal Defense Attorney
It is essential for you to hire an experienced NJ criminal lawyer that knows how to handle your sexual assault case. Ideally, the Toms River, NJ criminal lawyer you hire should be someone who has a proven track record at getting sexual assault charges reduced, or dropped altogether. While not inexpensive in price, a NJ criminal lawyer who knows how to handle sexual assault cases with solid experience and a proven track record will provide the best defense possible.